Sunday, December 12, 2010

Second up...Grandma's Caramels







I don't know about you, but a good caramel is hard to find! Maybe that is why I make them and don't ever buy them. I have tried a few recipes over the years and I keep going back to Grandma's Caramels (this recipe is from my Grandma Garvin). You could also call this No Fail Caramels - unlike the traditional heavy cream caramels that I seem to have trouble with from time to time.


Grandma's Caramels

1 cup butter

1 lb. brown sugar (2 cups packed)

Dash of salt

1 cup light corn syrup

1 can sweet and condensed milk

1 tsp. vanilla


Melt butter, add sugar and salt in heavy pan. Stir in syrup and gradually add milk. Cook and constantly stir over medium high heat until firm ball stage (243-245 degrees). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into buttered 9x13 or slightly smaller pan.

Cool and cut.

For wax paper wrappers: I use my fabric cutter to cut the wax paper in 4x5 inch rectangles. Then wrap each caramel individually.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm...how I love a good caramel! I think I'm going to make mine this weekend and will definitely blog about it!

    ReplyDelete